Having been an expat teacher for 6 years now, in both Doha and Dubai, there are so many things I’ve learned along the way! But knowing these 9 things would have made my life so much easier!
1. I wish I’d known how to research schools abroad, so I could have separated the good from the ugly!
2. I definitely wish I’d asked to see my contract before agreeing to it! To see what I should have done, read this!
3. I wish I’d knew what to expect from a good teaching package. Click here to download your Ideal Teaching Package Checklist!
4. I wish I’d had a support network before moving abroad. Come join our wonderfully supportive and kind Empowering Expat Teachers FB community today. EET meet-ups have already started! 👍
5. I wish I’d made a fixed plan rather than living my life on a year-to-year basis. This would have allowed me to maybe have settled a bit faster into expat life and perhaps have travelled and saved more, but that’s life! I did what I thought was right at the time. #noregrets #lifeistooshort
6. I wish I’d started being clever about money sooner. Now I try to read something about money each day, whether it is an article about saving, investing, spending, or financial empowerment. Here are my top 7 financially inspiring books. Luckily, I managed to save enough in my 4 years working in Qatar to buy a 4-bedroom buy-to-let house in my home country, but I still believe I could have saved EVEN MORE!
7. I wish I’d realised how to travel more cheaply! See No. 8 for more information on this…
8. I wish I known about how to make banks and credit cards work better for me. Check out Tip No. 4 for more information in my post showing Empowered Expat Teachers how to save an extra 1,000 AED/ QR per month.
9. I wish I’d known what absolute essentials to bring out with me when I moved. From my personal experience living in Qatar and Dubai, here are the 7 essentials to pack when you move abroad!
Want to know the fastest and easiest way to maximise your chances of teaching at a terrific school abroad and save up to €100,000, without wasting any more of your valuable time feeling confused and aimlessly looking for information? Click here to grab your spot on the free Teach Abroad Toolkit Webinar!
Current expat teachers in our Empowering Expat Teachers community, is there anything else you wish you’d known before making the move? Comment below!