Expat teachers can work at international schools or government / local schools. International schools teach a curriculum through English, which differs from that of the country’s national curriculum. They include:

  • British schools: There are over 2,000 British schools worldwide. While most follow the British National Curriculum, some use the term “British” but actually teach the local curriculum. To distinguish between the two, check that the school is on the list of schools accredited by COBIS (Council of British International Schools), BSO (British Schools Overseas), BSME (British Schools of the Middle East), FOBISIA (Federation of British International Schools in Asia), or COIS (Council of International Schools), all of which are membership associations of quality British schools, showing that these schools have passed rigorous inspections.
  •  American schools: The US Department of State Office of Overseas Schools assists 193 American schools in 134 countries. Check the list here to see the names of those schools. Many are also accredited by a U.S. regional accrediting body, but many around the world are not (even though they have the word “American” in their name!), so research carefully!
  •  IB Schools: These international schools teach the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP), a two-year rigorous educational programme for students aged 16–19. Read more about IB schools here.
  •  Other International Schools: Some blend a variety of teaching approaches to offer an international curriculum and teach mainly through the medium of English. Some have a large population of local and English as a Second Language expatriate students.
  •  Local/ government schools: These often include schools run by a country’s Ministry of Education or Education Council. They teach the local curriculum through the medium of English and are mainly attended by local students. To pick up 8 general guidelines when teaching local students in the Middle East, click here!