How to enjoy a 5-day holiday abroad for LESS than £500 (including FLIGHTS and HOTEL)!
Yes, you read that correctly- I enjoyed my last 5-day holiday abroad (including FLIGHTS and HOTEL) for £489! To convert to euros and US dollars, that’s €571 / $612. That £489 covered my WHOLE holiday in Istanbul. Read my ultimate guide to Istanbul here. Here is a list of what this £489 covered:
- flights (return to Dubai during school holiday time)
- food & drinks at the airport
- visa to enter Turkey
- private taxi pick-up and return (airport- hotel; hotel- airport)
- 4 nights’ hotel accommodation (double-bed ensuite in Sultanahmet (very central) with breakfast included)
- admission to Topkapi Palace
- eating out (every day)
- tips (taxis, waiters, and hotel staff)
- ferry ride to Kadikoy
- gift-shopping (including 7 medium-sized glass mosaic lamps, a hand luggage bag (to carry all my shopping!), real silver jewellery, cushion covers, coasters, magnets, and key rings)
Yes, all that above cost me £489 (or €571 / $612/ 2258 Turkish Lira)! Yes, for EVERYTHING listed above!
Want to know how I did it?
- My return flight from Dubai to Istanbul cost me £96 (€113 or $120). That is because I only had to pay the tax, as I had earned enough air miles on my Turkish Miles loyalty card to pay for the return flight. This is why I advise you to sign up for a loyalty card with the airline you use the most. To be honest, I’d say sign up for a loyalty card with every airline you ever fly with, as it’s free and you may as well earn the air miles!
- I didn’t pay a penny for my food & drinks at the airport because I have a credit card with free airport lounge access, so I can get into all airport lounges worldwide. The credit card I own is from the National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) and it gives me free airport lounge access (where I have up to 4 hours of free access to great food, drink, magazines, comfy seating, and high-speed wi-fi).
To find out how I spent so little on the rest of the above list, click here!
For tips to help you save up for your holidays, read here!
I have to say that I absolutely loved my 5-day holiday in Istanbul because it was a perfect blend of history, architecture, museums, relaxation, and eating. Read more about it here.
Join our supportive Empowering Expat Teachers FB group here where each week I share tips and resources to help you become a personally, professionally, and financially empowered expat teacher!