Before you learn something new below, please read my disclaimer here now about the advice and tips I share on this blog.
How to enjoy a 5-day holiday abroad for LESS than £500 (including FLIGHTS and HOTEL)!
Yes, you read that correctly- I enjoyed my last 5-day holiday abroad (including FLIGHTS and HOTEL) for £489! To convert to euros and US dollars, that’s €571 / $612. That £489 covered my WHOLE holiday in Istanbul. Read my ultimate guide to Istanbul here. Here is a list of what this £489 covered:
- flights (return to Dubai during school holiday time)
- food & drinks at the airport
- visa to enter Turkey
- private taxi pick-up and return (airport- hotel; hotel- airport)
- 4 nights’ hotel accommodation (double-bed ensuite in Sultanahmet (very central) with breakfast included)
- admission to Topkapi Palace
- eating out (every day)
- tips (taxis, waiters, and hotel staff)
- ferry ride to Kadikoy
- gift-shopping (including 7 medium-sized glass mosaic lamps, a hand luggage bag (to carry all my shopping!), real silver jewellery, cushion covers, coasters, magnets, and key rings)
Yes, all that above cost me £489 (or €571 / $612/ 2258 Turkish Lira)! Yes, for EVERYTHING listed above!
Want to know how I did it?
- My return flight from Dubai to Istanbul cost me £96 (€113 or $120). That is because I only had to pay the tax, as I had earned enough air miles on my Turkish Miles loyalty card to pay for the return flight. This is why I advise you to sign up for a loyalty card with the airline you use the most. To be honest, I’d say sign up for a loyalty card with every airline you ever fly with, as it’s free and you may as well earn the air miles!
- I didn’t pay a penny for my food & drinks at the airport because I have a credit card with free airport lounge access, so I can get into all airport lounges worldwide. The credit card I own is from the National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) and it gives me free airport lounge access (where I have up to 4 hours of free access to great food, drink, magazines, comfy seating, and high-speed wi-fi).
I have to say that I absolutely loved my 5-day holiday in Istanbul because it was a perfect blend of history, architecture, museums, relaxation, and eating. Read more about it here.
Another way to help you save lots more (while still fulfilling your travel bucket list!) is by joining “Teach Abroad 30K“!
If you are:
– … MOVING ABROAD TO TEACH AND WANT TO SAVE AT LEAST 30K?
– … AN EXPAT TEACHER WITH MANY YEARS’ ABROAD BUT LITTLE SAVINGS TO SHOW FOR IT?
Don’t worry; you are not the only one! Sadly, many expat teachers move abroad for many years and never manage to make significant savings. I’ve been able to save approx. €163,000 so far in my 6 years’ teaching abroad, but I’ve had to set money goals and make a conscious effort to succeed. I am excited to announce that all my advice, strategies, support, and guidance is in the Teach Abroad 30K because I want every expat teacher to have a meaningful money story too! Find out more here!
Join our supportive Empowering Expat Teachers FB group here where each week I share tips and resources to help you become a personally, professionally, and financially empowered expat teacher!