The best value phone deal I’ve found in the UAE!
Before you learn something new below, please read my disclosure here now about the advice and tips I share on this blog.
As expat teachers, one of our monthly bills is our mobile phone, which can often be very expensive, especially if we want a lot of data and international minutes, now that Skype calls have been blocked… Although there is talk of that ban being lifted, thank goodness!
If you read my blog last year, you may remember that I recommended Etisalat Unlimited Social Plan which is 49 AED/ month for unlimited access to Whassap, Facebook (including FB Messenger), Twitter, LinkedIn, and BBM. This was the plan I used for the last 2 years because I did not want to pay over 100AED/ month for my phone, I wanted a pay-as-you-go option rather than a contract, plus I had free wifi at school, at home, on the metro, at pretty much all the malls, hotel, restaurants, theme parks, and some public parks.
I have been very happy with Etisalat for the last 2 years, but this year I’ve realised that I want to have international minutes and the ability to use data outside social media. I spoke to a number of friends about their phone providers and plans and two of them recommended Virgin Mobile Yearly Plans, which have 50% off when you pay upfront for 12 months. I paid 554.40 AED for a 12 month contract, which works out at 46.20 AED per month OR 54.44 AED a month if you count the 10 months of the academic year. I don’t think it’s possible to find a better phone deal in the UAE! Moreover, if you use my Promo Code: SORCH81356 both you and I will get 1 GB extra free for 3 months!
Moreover, if you use my Promo Code: SORCH81356 both you and I will get 1 GB extra free for 3 months!
The transition from Etisalat to Virgin Mobile was absolutely painless for a number of reasons:
- I was able to easily transfer my current number from Etisalat to Virgin Mobile.
- The Virgin Mobile app is so straightforward to use.
- Once you sign up, Virgin Mobile send an employee to your place in less than 60 minutes to deliver your new SIM card and set you up.
- Your old number takes less than 24 hours to transfer over from your old network to Virgin Mobile and you get a temporary number to use while it is transferring.
- You can choose from a pre-prepared 1 month, 6 month, or 12 month contract plans or build your own plan, which is what I did. See more below in Step 4.
- You can use the app to check how much minutes and data you have left each month and buy extra if you need to!
Keep reading to see the easy steps to get this great Virgin Mobile deal!
First of all, download the Virgin Mobile app to your phone first because it makes the process so much easier.
You can buy a 1 month, 6 month, or 12 month subscription to be paid in advance. I went with the 12 month option as it is the best value option, once I worked out the total price of all the subscriptions.
I then decided to stick with the 12 month subscription but build my own to add some international minutes, due to the current Skype situation here.
I then decided to stick with the 12 month subscription but to build my own because I wanted 50 international minutes as well. It only added about 60 AED extra to the annual subscription, which works out at 5 AED extra a month.
To get 1 GB extra free each month for 3 months, see where it says Promo Code and add mine: SORCH81356
In total, I ended up paying 554.40 AED for a 12 month contract, which works out at 46.20 AED per month OR 54.44 AED a month if you count the 10 months of the academic year.
For 46.20 AED a month, I get:
- 2 GB per month
- + 1 GB extra free for 3 months from using a friend’s promo code. If you use my Promo Code: SORCH81356 both you and I will get 1 GB extra free for 3 months!
- 50 local minutes/ messages
- 50 international minutes/ messages
I am delighted with Virgin Mobile so far. Great service, value and coverage. If you want to get the best phone deal that I have found so far in the UAE, I highly recommend Virgin Mobile. To do this:
Download the Virgin Mobile app
Find the best 12 month plan for you or build your own
To get 1 GB extra free for 3 months, use my Promo Code: SORCH81356
Use the Virgin Mobile app to keep track of your data and minutes
Enjoy and know you are getting a great deal and saving tonnes of money this year!
Join our supportive Empowering Expat Teachers FB group here where each week I share tips and resources to help you become a personally, professionally, and financially empowered expat teacher!